How to Get Dried Up Pancake Batter Off of Your Kitchen Counter – A Tip Normal People Don’t Need

Yesterday, as I was doing the massive clean-up from our Kid-Friendly Freezer Cooking Session, I decided that I should share a little tip.

I don’t like smelly, chemical-ly cleaners, but often end up having to use them, due to . . . ummm . . . lack of using the less-lethal-stuff when I should.

Meaning, if I had wiped up the spilled pancake batter when it happened, I wouldn’t have to work so hard to get it to come off the next day.

So, here’s what I do to keep from digging under the sink for cleaners that I don’t want to use in my food-prep-areas.

Dip my washrag in warm, soapy dishwater. Only squeeze out enough water to keep it from dripping. Lay it over the concrete-impersonating-pancake-batter-spill. Do something else in the kitchen for a few minutes (since there’s ALWAYS something else to do). Come back and wipe it off easily.

If it doesn’t wipe off completely the first time, repeat the process until it does. (Or get out a butterknife and start scraping.)

There’s my tip.

If you happen to be normal, and you’ve never let pancake batter petrify, and you feel like you just wasted three minutes of your life reading this post . . . . don’t blame me. You were warned in the title.

I’m linking this up at Works For Me Wednesday over at We Are That Family.

Comments

1. LOL – then I must be abnormal because yes, I've let pancake batter petrify and have had to do the same thing :)

2. Just found your blog. I love it!!

3. Nony the Slob says:

Hi Carrie! I'm glad you found me!

4. I used to do that, but found something better. I use a plastic scraper which is supposed to be for cleaning my stoneware. It works great to scrape anything dried off the counter, high chair tray, table, etc.

5. I really enjoy your blog, Nony. :) You're inspiring me to continue "de-junkifying" my own house. I have dried bits of just about everything on my counters, btw.

6. I thought I was the only who needed to resort to those tactics! I also have to implement that on our dining room table with oatmeal and I don't want to know what else…

hubby and I have implemented nightly dishwasher runs, and we remarked that spending a little more on dishwasher soap is SOO worth having mostly-cleared sink and counters when we go to bed.

7. Nony the Slob says:

That's so true, Becky! I used the "don't want to waste soap" excuse for many years. Really? I really just didn't want to clean!

8. Nony the Slob says:

Welcome Emily! It's so nice to know that others have un-perfect counters too.

9. Sweetpea101506 says:

Thanks for the tip! I usually just use a butter knife, but I'm sure this will be easier.

10. A knife scraper I use on my stove works amazing!

11. cookie_monster says:

Also good advice for rehydration and easy removal of instant noodles that are um… dehydrated and clinging for dear life to your table top, floor surface, lounge room ottoman. Nice blog. Feeling at home here. Do you mind if I shuffle these things over a bit and have a seat?

12. I use the plastic gift card as a scrapper. Instead of letting the cashier throw them away after I use the amount. I take them home and use them in the kitchen to scrub stuff off of dishes, tables, floors, toothpaste from the bathroom, anything really. Best part is when one is too worn to be used I can always get another one for free!

13. Brandy D says:

Like a reader mentioned above, I use the little, brown Pampered Chef stoneware scraper to remove caked-on gunk from the countertop. (A regular occurrence here in my home, unfortunately…. ) I usually give the spot one spray of my 99¢ (Wal-Mart) Spic n Span cleaner, then one good scrape and it comes loose easily.
    If I had a cooktop like yours, I might give the razor blade method a try- but not for a few years, as I’ve got a fearless four-year-old son who is too curious and too clever for his own good. He somehow manages to find the dangerous items, no matter how high/well hidden. He is also a master at sniffing out hidden cookies! ;)

14. O my gosh. I have been reading your blog, kinda nonstop, for a week now… because YOU ARE ME – or at least your house, thought process, kids, etc are all me. Awwwwww I am not alone. And I too soak off dried up ick. But even in a week I gotta say your book along with reading your web site has helped my slob eyesight and something is brewing other than my coffee…….. I really think I am gonna get this with your help. THANK YOU THANK YOU!

15. Even worse is baby cereal that gets left on the counter. It doesn’t matter what kind it is, it sets up so hard you nearly have to buy a new counter top to fix it. I stopped feeding the kids that stuff after I saw what it did on the counter.